Finally we are here presenting you our first and most loved recipe….FISH FRY. For a dish that seems to be complicated to be made at home, Fish Fry is surprisingly easy and quick to make. It just needs a little patience in handling the fish.
Let us first gather the Ingredients:
Fish – 6 Pieces (Medium Size) Salt – 1 Tbsps
Garam Masala – 2 Tbsps Turmeric – 1 Pinch
Curry leaf – 1 stem Cloves – 4/5
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece Elachi – 1(Optional)
Oil – 4/5 Tbsps Ginger & garlic Paste – 1 Tbsps
Onions – 2 Big (Finely Chopped) Chilli powder – 2 Tbsps
All purpose Flour – 1 Tbsps Corn Flour – 1 Tbsps
Come cook with us:
1. Wash Fish pieces thoroughly and drain off the water completely. Rest the pieces aside. We know this smells “fishy” :-p but it’s worth the taste in the end!!
2. While the fish rests, let us prepare the marinating mixture (remember this is the key for the dish…. so make it as good as possible with our instructions)
3. Take a medium sized bowl and mix 1 Tbsps each of Garam masala , Corn Flour, All purpose flour, Chili powder, Salt, Oil into a smooth paste by adding little water (preferably 3-4 Tbsps . Just to make sure that you are moving in the right direction towards the yummiest fish fry , taste the mixture (just a pinch of it :-p) and adjust the salt or spices as required.
4. Now take the Fish pieces and cover them completely with the marinating mixture. Make sure that all the pieces are completely drenched in our mixture. Rest them for 15 minutes.
5. After the long wait of 15 minutes :-p , heat a tawa (Dosa/Chapati tawa can be used). Spread the oil on the tawa and let it heat. After the tawa/oil is moderately heated reduce the flame and carefully place the marinated fish pieces on tawa. Continue to cook on low flame till the fish pieces are crispy on both sides. Be gentle and careful while flipping the pieces.
6. Once they are crispy take them off the tawa and rest them again (yeah we know…. too much resting of the fish pieces :-p).
7. To make these crispy fish pieces more yummy take a kadai and add 2 Tbsps of oil. Add Cloves, Cinnamon, Elachi. Then add the finely chopped onion.
8. Fry the spices and the onions till they turn golden brown in color. Now add ginger garlic paste and fry until you cannot smell the raw ginger and garlic.
9. Now add Salt, Chilli powder, turmeric & garam masala as required (go easy on the spices as we had already added them in the marinating mixture).
10. Now transfer the resting fish pieces to the kadai.
11. Cover the kadai with lid and cook for 3-5 min on low flame.
12. Once it is cooked , add freshly chopped coriander or mint leaves to it.
Yummyyyyy Fish Fry is ready to be served 🙂 This tastes good with hot hot rice or roti. But we prefer to eat it as a snack 🙂
1. Use a spoon of lemon juice/ vinegar for cleaning Fish pieces to get rid of the “fishy” smell.
2. Adding Elachi to the dish is purely optional.
Comment below on how you like the Fish fry to be and what else will you do to make it yummier than this??? 🙂